You are here
High quality student clinical placements are a priority for the UCRH. The coordination staff involved with the delivery of the education program, in conjunction with the academic staff from a number of Universities continues to develop the breadth and depth of health discipline clinical placements that are available on the North Coast. UCRH currently places students from 15 Universities across a wide range of disciplines.
The placements available are geographically varied and include but are not limited to:
- Public Hospitals and Community Health Centres: Lismore, Murwillumbah, Grafton, Ballina, Byron Bay, Mullumbimby, Casino, Maclean and Nimbin
- Private Hospitals: St Vincent’s Private Lismore and John Flynn Hospital
- Residential Age Care Facilities: Ballina, Bangalow, Lismore
- General Practices in Murwillumbah, Ocean Shores, Mullumbimby, Tintenbar, Kyogle, Casino, Coraki, Bonalbo, Lismore, Alstonville, Ballina, Bangalow, Grafton, Maclean, Woolgoolga, Yamba, Lennox Head, and Woodburn
- Privately practicing Medical and Allied Health clinicians in all those locations
They are also clinically varied and include areas such as:
- Anaesthetics, Cardiology / Cardiac Lab, Dermatology, Drug and Alcohol, Ear, Nose and Throat, Emergency, General Practice, Geriatrics, Haematology, ICU, Liver Clinic, Mental Health, Medicine, Nephrology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Paediatrics, Rehabilitation Medicine, Surgery and Vascular Surgery,
- Aged Care Assessment Team, Ambulance, Autism Spectrum Disorder Service, Biala Special School, Breast Cancer Domiciliary Visits, Carroll Centre Day Therapy Unit, Child & Family Health Centre, Diabetes Clinic, Early Intervention Service, Family Planning Association, Justice Health, Mothercraft Unit, On Track, Needle and Syringe Program, Pathology, Prosthodontist, Psychogeriatrics/Dementia, Population Health, Radiology, Refugee Health Centres in Lismore and Coffs Harbour, Renal Dialysis Units, Respiratory Clinic, SCU Health Clinic, Sexual Health Clinic, Skin Cancer Clinic, TB Clinic, Vaccination Clinics, Wound Care Clinic , Pain Clinic
And in Aboriginal Medical Services:
- Bullinah in Ballina
- Bugalwena in Tweed Heads
- Bulgarr Ngaru in Grafton
- Casino Aboriginal Medical Service
- Gurgun in Lismore (once construction works completed)
- Jali on Cabbage Tree Island
- Outreach programs provided to communities located in Coraki, Box Ridge, Jubullum Village and Muli Muli, Bonalbo
The Education Unit could not operate without the invaluable and ongoing support of all of the clinical supervisors from all disciplines which are located throughout the hospital, community and GP practices.
Student coordinators – There are two student coordinators located at Lismore, One at Murwillumbah and one in Grafton, who are supported by an administrative staff member at each site.
Physical resources available at our sites include: video-conferencing equipment and broadband connections including library and computer access for all students. Access to manikins including a skeleton, complicated and uncomplicated Obstetric models complete with infant, resuscitation equipment, TraumaMan and a “Peter PICC” cannulation dummy. The purchase of additional anatomical models, a fully equipped ‘Emergency Trolley with Defibrillator’ and an ‘Automatic External Defibrillator’ has allowed for basic and advanced life support training to be undertaken by students on site at Grafton Base Hospital. Skills laboratories are located at Grafton and Murwillumbah and students have access to hospital education programs at Lismore, Grafton and Murwillumbah. The site-based subscriptions to “Up to Date” software enable students ongoing rapid access to evidence based support for research on management of cases whilst on placement in Northern NSW Local Health Network facilities.